This morning we all went down to Pleasant Grove (to my old alma mater actually, unrecognizable these days with all the added structures) to run the annual Strawberry Days race. Funny, a decade ago I was also heading down there early this morning, but to march in the parade with the band. My stroll down the streets this year was a little less... in straight lines. I was glad to be around to participate this year, and had a great time with Mom, Grandma, Amber, Melody, Jonny (and Julia), with Dad as the ideal "athletic supporter," riding alongside with his bike now and then, and a couple of other friends. The weather was nice, the run was smooth (mostly downhill-so nice), and a good time was had by all. I am pretty sure this is a record for me. This time puts me at an 8+ minute mile, which surely is my best. Probably ever. So that was pretty exciting. (Oh, what would I have given to run a 9 minute mile in Junior High? Which we also ran past...) The thing is I think I might even have been able to do it a little faster. Maybe next time. It's so funny, I've only been into running for a few years, but I find it really therapeutic and even, in its own way, relaxing. And fun! Next step: the MARATHON! HA. Whatev. Go #110!
iPod 5K Mix (which I put together on the way down, and worked out perfectly):
Pre-race (warm up)--
- I've Just Seen a Face (from Across the Universe)
- Behind These Hazel Eyes (Kelly Clarkson)
- I'm Still Alive (from Portal)
- Breakaway (Kelly Clarkson)
- In Her Eyes (Josh Groban)
- The Call (Backstreet Boys)
- You Can't Stop the Beat (from Hairspray--the best running song ever)
- Wordplay (Jason Mraz)
- The Spider-Man Theme (Michael Buble)
- Falling for the First Time (Barenaked Ladies)
- Pop! Goes My Heart (Hugh Grant)
- Lollipop (Mika)
- She's So High (Tal Bachman)
- Never Again (Kelly Clarkson)
- Before He Cheats (Carrie Underwood--I know it's a girl song, but I like it still)
- Make Your Own Kind of Music (Cass Elliot--Thanks to LOST for my love of this song)
- Grace Kelly (Mika)
Total time: 26:58.0.
Miles run: 3.1.
Minutes per mile: 8:42.
Rank overall: 96.
My number: 110.
Number of times running toward the finish line: 3 (once for me, once for the above photo, and once with Grandma).
Side cramps endured: 1 (which appeared almost immediately after starting. Dergh).
Blisters developed: 1 for real (in a most bizarre location, in between toes), and a couple which were well on their way.
Strawberries eaten after: 5.
Buckets of sweat dripped: 42.