Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Politically Incorrect?

In a recent comment, it has been pointed out that I am not "the most politically correct person in the world." I am glad to own this understatement! To me, lately more than ever, being politically correct usually means merely to lower your standards and water things down to appease the masses. I'm not interested in appeasing the masses. What I'm interested in is standing for the right, regardless of the flak that is thrown in my face (which, inevitably, is thrown). If saying what I know to be true means being politically incorrect, then so be it. The time has come that we can no longer go out of our way to be politically correct. The time has come that we have to stand up. Quiet dissent is often mistaken for assent, and if we filter things down in an effort of being unnecessarily "nice", we will miss great opportunities to help others. Of course we must be kind and loving, but at the same time unyielding in our principles.

"The time is past when we can merely believe in this Gospel... We must be passionate in our belief and in our commitment to Jesus Christ and His plan."

- Elaine Jack, former Relief Society President

To me, that means we have to be firm in our foundation and not sway when opposition comes. If that means now and then failing to be politically correct, I guess that's the way it goes sometimes. I've always been outspoken, and I guess I've learned that sometimes I get carried away and say too much of what I feel (or, rather, what I feel at the moment), but I've never been ashamed that I stand for my beliefs. I believe that is what we are counseled to do time and again by our Church leaders.

6 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree. It's definitely not popular to stand for what you believe in sometimes. But you have every right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree. Does being politically correct make us more like politicians? Is that what we want to be? Not me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i actually did a post about this just last month based on a conversation lili and i had with our roommates. and i agree with you. what people need to learn is respect, not political correctness, because i don't think they're the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point. It is possible to be politically incorrect and still respectful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. respect. that's the key word i left out of that email i sent. haha. sometimes i'm a spaz.

    being PC just means that you are out to please everyone. and nobody likes a people-pleaser. at least not for long.

    ReplyDelete